Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Hobo Date

This girl, we will call her Monday, & I started talking and seemed to hit it off. She had great taste in music and liked some of the movies I liked. She was super cool to talk to. I figured "What the heck, I should ask her out." So I did. We met up on a Tuesday at a local Starbucks just as it was closing. I didn't mind because I do not even drink coffee so I wasn't hurt by the closing. She bought something before I arrived. Monday was sitting at a table outside when I walked up, the lights of the Starbucks are being turned off inside. She asked me if I mind staying here and just talk. I thought it was a good plan. As we talked about movies, music, life it got around 10:30ish. Two homeless looking people approached, guy and girl, and they went into their story. Apparently their truck broke down in Bossier and they were on their way Keithville. Long trip. Asked if we could give them a few bucks. I hesitated reaching for my wallet but Monday snatched her purse up and said "Sure." She opened her wallet like we were amongst friends. She reached in for some dollars while I gradually pulled my wallet out. She gave them four dollars, I stopped pulling out my wallet because I figured "Ah, four is good enough." They looked at her then at me and kind of gave me a "Are you going to give" look. After they realized I wasn't going to give them any money they said "Um. . . well. . . thank you." I went back to our conversation like nothing happened. We finished up the date but I could tell something was up with Monday. Day or two past before I received an e-mail from her. She didn't think it would work out. I replied "Look, I'm okay with that but can you tell me why?" Come to find out she thought we were pretty cool and we got along well and held conversations, never a break in conversation. The reason why she didn't want to pursue it was because I did not give money to the drifters. That my friends is a Costanza.

No comments:

Post a Comment