Tuesday, August 9, 2011

History Is Over: Kings of Leavin'

Last Thursday (7/28) nite I drove over to Dallas for the weekend. I hung out with my brother and his girlfriend AJ. We were going to the Kings of Leon concert that Friday nite. I scored two tickets for the show so AJ got a friend of hers to take my extra ticket off my hands. There were six of us going but we were not able to sit together so Lauren (AJs friend) & I grabbed our seats, which were dead center really. Earlier in the week Textican text me "Are you excited about the concert?" At this point I did not have a ticket so I told her I wasn't going. During the set break between Band of Horses (great set by them) & KoL I went off to buy a shirt. Upon my return I find a text message that reads "I see you! You are such a liar!!" Guess who sent that text. KoL took the stage and blasted through 4-5 songs. By song number two I told Lauren "Caleb is shot. He sounds bad." He announced he wasn't bringing his A game with the voice, complained of the heat and went on to drink more beer AND tequila. That helps out with the heat. Joke. Later Caleb curses up a storm and says "I'm going back to vomit, drink a beer, then come out here and play three more songs." He told the Dallas crowd that they were the best crowd he has ever played for, sorry saps probably believed him. That dude doesn't even know the words to his own songs at this point. It was sad to see this happen. Nathan came out to tell the fans that there will be a 10 minute break so Caleb can get it together. About 15 minutes pass then Matthew (Caleb's cousin) & Jared (Caleb's brother) came out and to announce to the crowd "I'm sorry but we have to cancel. Caleb is unfit to go on." A rain of boos and bottles are coming after Jared & Matthew. People were pissed. I think my favorite part of the "Sorry we have to stop the show" speech was Jared's part- "Hate f'ing Caleb, not us. You can burn our f'ing records I don't care." (The next day KoL canceled the Houston show, come Monday the whole tour was put to rest) It would have been easy for the Followill family to send out a roadie or some guitar tech to announce the disappointing news but KoL owned up and faced the crowd. Jared started twitting about "big problems" in the group- a.k.a. Caleb drinks like a fish. OKAY ONWARD. After the concert the six of us (Cody, AJ, Rex, Lauren, Stacy & The Joe) go to The Joe's truck and tail gate I guess. They have their drinks and The Joe is trying to guess everyones zodiac sign. He got every bodies wrong. Strangers would come up to bum cigarettes, lighters, and drinks off our gang. Some just wanted to talk refunds. My take on the refund situatiton-- Band of Horses played a full set followed by Kings playing 11 tracks, most likely half their set total. They do not have to refund us, but they did. I was totally fine with the idea of the short lived concert. I got to see KoL post Only By The Night and did not hear Sex Somebody. Win-Win. I guess I do not really care since it was the 10th time I have seen them. My brother and I did get to hear "No Money" though. Personal favorite of ours. BACK TO THE PARKING LOT. Dude with dreds (Toby) walks up to use to talk refund. Come to find out most of our group knew him & his wife, Bailey. We join them by their car to hang out. It was hippies hula-hooping. One looked like Amy Winehouse. Everyone starts chatting and The Joe starts saying stuff to my brother and I like "Man, you guys some to get along, you could be brothers." Really The Joe? Bailey is a world class hula hooping chick. She got out there and did tricks for us, pretty cool until The Joe got in the mix. Bailey was going at it with tricks then The Joe says to her "History is over, time for the future." PLEASE READ AGAIN- HISTORY IS OVER, TIME FOR THE FUTURE. I hear this and turn to Cody (my brother) and say "Did you just hear that?" I told Cody and we both start laughing. The Joe goes on to swing the hoop around his neck for ten seconds while singing KoL song. Future doesn't look that great. Toby had a solid beard so we talked beards. He told me to not trim the beard for 6 months. The Joe gets in the conversation about facial hair. The Joe says to Toby "I see you got some chest hair, beard, and dreds but do you keep your business clean?" Toby replies "Nope, all natural." The Joe replied with "Yuck." Talks turn to indians. The Joe asks everyone if we are part indian. I tell him yes, Cheerokee. The Joe goes on to say "Any of you Apache? Tell me now, I don't deal with Apache indians." We all decide to start leaving the lot and head for a place to eat. Somehow The Joe and his girl Stacy end up somewhere else. Come morning AJ gets a text from Stacy saying that The Joe and her went bungie jumping around midnite then to a strip club. God bless The Joe. The stay was good, nice to see Cody & AJ. I hope the Kings can get it together.

R.R.

No comments:

Post a Comment